Even though plastic has played an important role in modern life; however, we have the habit of throwing them away after use. So, recycling plastic can be a great way to minimize the pollution of land and water bodies. You can even sell plastics again by recycling them.
Plastic is non-biodegradable, which means that it can be recycled repeatedly. One can sell old items once the recycled plastic products are used to the maximum. This is also a wonderful way to save our environment from solid waste and pollution.
Here are some interesting facts that you should know before getting into the trade of recycling plastics:
- It is estimated that 2.5 million plastic bottles are used by Americans every hour and they are mostly thrown away.
- 25,000,000,000 Styrofoam coffee cups are thrown away by US citizens every year.
- Recycling plastics is not a new business and there are more than 1,600 businesses dealing in this trade.
- Recycled PET plastic can be used as fiberfill for sleeping bags, stuffed toys, and much more.
- At present, only around 27% of plastic bottles are recycled on earth.
- Plastic garbage discarded into the oceans leads to the death of over 1 million sea creatures per year.
- It is estimated that recycling saves 3 to 5 times the energy generated by waste-to-energy factories.
- In 2008, 13.3% of plastic packaging was recycled.
- 90% of the price of a water bottle is for factors such as bottling, packaging, and marketing. Only 10% of the price is for the drinking water.
- Plastics won’t decompose for thousands of years as they are shielded from sunlight in landfills.
- Recycling one ton of plastic saves the equivalent of 1,000–2,000 gallons of gasoline.
- Interestingly, one can save 66% of energy while making new plastic items using recycled plastics instead of raw materials.
- In one of surveys, 9 out of 10 people opined that they would love to recycle plastics if the process was easy.
- Many people do not know that plastic bottles are made from oil, which is used to make gasoline. Of course we know that gasoline is high in demand and it is an unlimited resource.
These days, recycling plastic dry cleaning bags, food wraps and product wraps isn’t that difficult. As a manufacturer, you can sell plastics in the form of new bags and various other items using recycled material and it won’t cost you much. Go ahead – keep recycling plastics.